Camping on the Great Ocean Walk
Self-guided walk itineraries and campsite accommodation on the Great Ocean Walk
Book the Perfect Great Ocean Walk Camping Tour
Enjoy the Great Ocean Walk Campsites with assistance from Walk 91.
- A private trailer for you to lock away your gear. (Please refer to the notes below as not all of the campsites are accessible by car.)
- Drinking water in a large container stored in the trailer for you to re-fill your water bottles (as there is no drinking water on the trail)
- Removal of your rubbish as there are no bins in the National Park
- A bus shuttle from the end of your walk back to Apollo Bay
- Walking notes
- An official Great Ocean Walk Map
- A private walk briefing
- Camping fees – you book your own sites.
- Food – you bring non-perishable food with you for the duration of your walk. There are no shops on the trail.
What do you need to do to book:
You may start any of the 3, 4 or 6 day itineraries listed below on any date you choose, BUT we have limited trailers available, so to book:
- Please check that we are available on your proposed dates before you book your campsites. Contact us with a start date and the itinerary you are interested in.
- If we are available on your proposed dates, we will hold your spot for 24hours whilst you book your campsites.
- Once your campsites are booked we will email you a secure visa link to pay. And that’s it!
6 Days – (100km) Apollo Bay to the 12 Apostles. $755 for 1 -4 walkers
4 Days – (71km) Apollo Bay to Ryan’s Den. $570 for 1 -4 walkers
3 Days – (57km) Apollo Bay to Johanna. $400 for 1 -4 walkers
Day 1 – (22km) Apollo Bay to Blanket Bay. (You book the ‘hike in’ campsite at Blanket Bay or book the group area campsite at Blanket Bay if the ‘hike in’ site is full).
- Approx 8.30am you leave your gear in the trailer in the car park in Pascoe Street, next to the Bendigo Bank and opposite the Eco YHA. On your arrival in Apollo Bay you text us / call on 0439 893 950. We provide you key code for the trailer and leave any extras in the trailer you may have booked with us (i.e. map/ eprib / poles or camping gear). You walk to Blanket Bay from Apollo Bay. We leave the trailer at Blanket Bay car park at approx 3.30pm. We will place our trailer as near to the campsites as possible, but due to the amount of cars in the car parks in busy periods, we can only get the trailer as close as space allows. Please look around for the trailer if you cannot see it immediately – it may be tucked behind a car or two!
Day 2 – (21km) Walk Blanket Bay to Aire River. (You book the ‘hike in’ campsite at Aire River or book the group area campsite at Aire River if the ‘hike in’ site is full).
- You lock your large rucksacks for collection (by 9 am) in the trailer at Blanket Bay. You walk to Aire River. You collect your rucksacks from the trailer at Aire River in the afternoon. We leave it next to the toilets at the bridge so you will need to walk up to the GOW campsite as we cannot drive into the sites.
Day 3 – (14km) Aire River to Johanna Beach. You book the ‘hike in’ campsite at Johanna Beach or book the group area campsite at Johanna Beach if the ‘hike in’ site is full).
- Leave large rucksacks for collection (by 9 am) in the trailer at Aire River. You walk to Johanna Beach. You collect rucksacks from the trailer at Johanna Beach in the afternoon. You will need to carry your gear up to the campsites as we cannot drive into the sites. If you book the 3-day walk, your walk ends here and we return you to Apollo Bay.
Day 4 – (14km) Johanna Beach to Ryan’s Den. You book the ‘hike in’ campsite at Ryan’s Den. (No group site available)
- Please note on this day we cannot get into the campsite as there is no road/track access, so you need to carry your gear and food. You, therefore, carry your large rucksack and leave your small day pack in the trailer whilst you don’t need it and anything else you do not wish to carry. If you book the 4-day walk, your walk ends here and we return you to Apollo Bay.
Day 5 – (13km) Ryans Den, via Wreck Beach to Devils Kitchen. You book the ‘hike in’ campsite at Devils Kitchen. (No group site available)
- You carry your large rucksack. At approx 4.30pm we leave a trailer at Wreck Beach Car Park, with water and your food items you choose to leave with us at the start of your walk. Once you have replenished your supplies you walk on to Devils Kitchen for 2.5km.
Day 6 – (16km) Devils Kitchen to 12 Apostles.
- You carry large rucksack to the 12 Apostles, OR you have the option of walking back to the trailer at Wreck Beach Car Park (1.5km) to lock up your large rucksack before walking on the 12 Apostles with only your day pack. We meet you at the 12 Apostles with your large rucksacks at 3 pm. Walk 91 drive you back into Apollo Bay by approx 5.30pm.
Important note: You must book for the correct amount of walkers as we need to reserve a seat for you on the bus back to Apollo Bay. Children are not permitted to sit on their parents’ lap in the bus. We do not offer child seats and cannot fit them into our vehicle.
Camping hire prices are available. Please contact us for prices.
The Great Ocean Walk Map
Absolutely fabulous organisation, from enquiry through to booking and all the way through to final day of walk. Fabulous drivers, wonderful accommodation and hosts. Everyone friendly and accommodating. Thank you to the whole team!
We knew about the Great Ocean Walk and found Walk91 through an internet search. I called you last year to get advice on the best time to do the walk, and you recommended this timing for the best experience.
Deb & Jen
Everything went to plan and the accommodation was perfect. What a treat to arrive at these lovely places after a hard days walking.