Camping on the Great Ocean Walk
Self-guided walk itineraries and campsite accommodation on the Great Ocean Walk
Book the Perfect Great Ocean Walk Camping Tour
Enjoy the Great Ocean Walk Campsites with assistance from Walk 91.
For this option you may leave any date you choose as long as we have availability, so please check dates with us first. This option is perfect if you are happy booking all the campsites yourself and all you really would like is the option of not carrying your heavy gear for most of the way. Please read the itinerary below carefully however, as we can only move your gear to where we have car access, so in some cases you do need to carry your gear.
This option importantly provides town drinking water as there is no ‘drinking water’ on the walk. There are rainwater tanks on the trail but it is not deemed drinkable water by Parks Victoria and, if it has been hot, sometimes the rainwater tanks can be low or at times empty.
If you do need a bit more support and you really want to keep carrying gear to a limit, and you would like to do the whole walk, please refer to our camping & accommodation option. Before you book any campsites please read the following options carefully………
- A private trailer for you to lock away your gear. (Please refer to the notes below as not all of the campsites are accessible by car.)
- Drinking water in a large container stored in the trailer for you to re-fill your water bottles (as there is no drinking water on the trail)
- Removal of your rubbish as there are no bins in the National Park
- A bus shuttle from the end of your walk back to Apollo Bay
- Walking notes
- A private walk briefing or Great Ocean Walk Map
- Camping fees – you book your own sites on the Great Ocean Walk
- Food – you bring non-perishable food with you for the duration of your walk. There are no shops on the trail.
What do you need to do to book:
You may start any of the 3, 4 or 6 day itineraries listed below on any date you choose, BUT we have limited trailers available (which is for private use for your group) so to book:
- Please check that we are available on your proposed dates before you book your campsites. Contact us with a start date and the itinerary you are interested in.
- If we are available on your proposed dates, we will hold your spot for 24hours whilst you book your campsites.
- Once your campsites are booked we will email you a secure visa link to pay. And that’s it!
6 Days – (100km) Apollo Bay to the 12 Apostles. $1065 for 1 -4 walkers
4 Days – (71km) Apollo Bay to Ryan’s Den. $785 for 1 -4 walkers
3 Days – (57km) Apollo Bay to Johanna. $565 for 1 -4 walkers
Day 1 – (22km) Apollo Bay to Blanket Bay. (You book the ‘hike in’ campsite at Blanket Bay or book the group area campsite at Blanket Bay if the ‘hike in’ site is full).
- Approx 8.30am you leave your gear in the trailer in the car park in Pascoe Street, next to the Bendigo Bank and opposite the Eco YHA. On your arrival in Apollo Bay you text us / call on 0439 893 950. We provide you key code for the trailer and leave any extras in the trailer you may have booked with us (i.e. map/ eprib / poles or camping gear). You walk to Blanket Bay from Apollo Bay. We leave the trailer at Blanket Bay car park at approx 3.30pm. We will place our trailer as near to the campsites as possible, but due to the amount of cars in the car park in busy periods, we can only get the trailer as close as space allows. You will have to walk approx 50-100m to the campsite.
Day 2 – (21km) Walk Blanket Bay to Aire River. (You book the ‘hike in’ campsite at Aire River or book the group area campsite at Aire River if the ‘hike in’ site is full).
- You lock your large rucksacks for collection by approx 9 am in the trailer at Blanket Bay. You walk to Aire River. You collect your rucksacks from the trailer at Aire River in the afternoon at approx 3.30pm. We leave it next to the toilets at the bridge so you will need to walk approx 100m up to the GOW hike-in campsite.
Day 3 – (14km) Aire River to Johanna Beach. You book the ‘hike in’ campsite at Johanna Beach or book the group area campsite at Johanna Beach if the ‘hike in’ site is full).
- Leave large rucksacks for collection by approx 9 am in the trailer at Aire River. You walk to Johanna Beach. You collect rucksacks from the trailer at Johanna Beach in the afternoon at approx 3.30pm. You will need to carry your gear approx 200m up to the GOW hike-in campsites. If you book the 3-day walk, your walk ends here and we return you to Apollo Bay.
Day 4 – (14km +2km if your walk ends here) Johanna Beach to Ryan’s Den. You book the ‘hike in’ campsite at Ryan’s Den. (No group site available)
- Please note on this day we cannot get into the campsite as there is no road/track access, so you need to carry your gear and food. You, therefore, carry your large rucksack and leave your small day pack in the trailer whilst you don’t need it and anything else you do not wish to carry. If you book the 4-day walk, your walk ends here and we pick you up and return you to Apollo Bay. If you are ending your walk on this day you do not need to carry your gear. You leave your gear in the trailer in the morning and we take it back to Apollo Bay and store it whilst you walk.
Day 5 – (13km) Ryans Den, via Wreck Beach to Devils Kitchen. You book the ‘hike in’ campsite at Devils Kitchen. (No group site available)
- You carry your large rucksack. We leave the trailer at Wreck Beach Car Park. Once you have replenished your supplies you walk on to Devils Kitchen for 2.5km.
Day 6 – (16km) Devils Kitchen to 12 Apostles.
- You carry your large rucksack to the 12 Apostles, OR you have the option of walking back to the trailer at Wreck Beach Car Park (1.5km) to lock up your large rucksack before walking on the 12 Apostles with only your day pack. We meet you at the 12 Apostles with your large rucksacks at 3 pm. Walk 91 drive you back into Apollo Bay by approx 5.30pm.
Important note: You must book for the correct amount of walkers as we need to reserve a seat for you on the bus back to Apollo Bay. Children are not permitted to sit on their parents’ lap in the bus. We do not offer child seats and cannot fit them into our vehicle.
The Great Ocean Walk Map
Absolutely fabulous organisation, from enquiry through to booking and all the way through to final day of walk. Fabulous drivers, wonderful accommodation and hosts. Everyone friendly and accommodating. Thank you to the whole team!
We knew about the Great Ocean Walk and found Walk91 through an internet search. I called you last year to get advice on the best time to do the walk, and you recommended this timing for the best experience.
Deb & Jen
Everything went to plan and the accommodation was perfect. What a treat to arrive at these lovely places after a hard days walking.