3 Day Cape Hike 50 kms, Self-Guided
Known as the ‘Mild Side’ of the Great Ocean Walk, this 50.5km ‘Hike the Cape Walk’ is great for beginners and experienced walkers alike. You walk pack-free, whilst enjoying the historical Cape Otway Lighthouse, well-marked tracks & amazing views.
Walk91 look forward to welcoming you on arrival with your own personal walk briefing. We will hand you a map, tide chart, walk notes, emergency position-indicating radio beacon (EPIRB) & phone, if needed. You will start your journey with our Walk91 team feeling relaxed, confident & safe in the knowledge that we are never far away and you can call us at any time!
This morning you’ll collect your freshly packed lunch as you head out of Apollo Bay. The start of the walk commences with a stretch along the coastline offering sweeping views of the Cape Otway region. The track then meanders into the rainforest of the Great Otway National Park. Hike past tree ferns and tall eucalypts found in the wet gullies, through tall forests and along old forestry tracks. Spot black wallabies who inhabit this area, before winding down the trail onto beautiful Blanket Bay.
As you set off today you will enjoy wonderful views over Parker Inlet. The vegetation changes to dry coastal forests inhabited by echidnas and king parrots. Following the track to Victoria’s oldest lighthouse, enjoy the breathtaking views of the Bass Strait from the cliff tops. Remember to look up into the manna gums, as they are home to the local koalas.
Today you visit the Cape Otway Lighthouse where you can walk up the 18 metre, 150 year old lightstation and learn a little of the lives of the hard-working, isolated and incredibly resourceful lighthouse keepers. Visit the telegraph station built in 1859 and the World War ll radar station.
Setting off today you will pass the old lightstation cemetery. The tombstones reflect the hardships experienced by the early settlers here. The track then meanders on towards the wild and wonderful Station Beach, which is littered with driftwood. Take a small detour to Rainbow Falls, or carry on walking to enjoy sweeping views from the cliff tops. You’ll walk along the Aire Heritage River and over its bridge, towards Castle Cove. This magnificent beach has its own lookout station; a great way to end your days walk! We will transfer you back to Apollo Bay at approximately 4pm.
- We can lend you walking poles if you would like them.
- We can lend you a mobile phone if you are visiting from overseas.
- Transfers to and from your start and finish points are included where required.
- Detailed transportation options to and from Apollo Bay are available on the FAQ page.
- We are happy to cater for any special dietary needs (please let us know when you book).
- It’s important to prepare for your walk. See the FAQ page for some tips!
- If this particular walk is too long or too short for you, please refer to our other multi-day walking options or call us for a chat on (+61 3 5237 1189)