Great Ocean Walk 3 Day Hiking Tour
This 3-day itinerary along the Great Ocean Walk is known as the ‘Mild Side’ of the Great Ocean Walk. This 50.5km ‘Hike the Cape Walk’ is great for beginners and experienced walkers alike, and it’s the counterpart to the slightly more challenging 12 Apostles Great Ocean Walk 3 Day Tour. Push both of these tours together and you have our Complete Great Ocean Walk 6 day Trip. But back to this Hike the Cape Walk: you will walk pack-free, whilst enjoying the historical Cape Otway Lighthouse, well-marked tracks & amazing views. Check out all the details below for this 3 day Great Ocean Walk Tour, and please contact us if you have any questions whatsoever, and check out our Custom Great Ocean Walk Tour Packages if you’d like us to create a completely personalised experience for you. Otherwise, consider our range of pre-designed Great Ocean Walk Tours!
Standard and Upgrade Accommodation Pricing
YOU'LL COMPLETE 50KM OF THE GREAT OCEAN WALK IN 3 DAYS
Day 1: Apollo Bay to Blanket Bay – 22km* or 13.5km
Day 2: Blanket Bay to Cape Otway – 10.5km
Day 3: Cape Otway to Castle Cove – 17.5km* or 11km
* If you are unsure if these walking distances are too long for you, no worries – we are here to help! We will happily chat to you about which distances will suit you best before you walk, or we can even change the meeting points once you start walking if you are finding the walk too challenging. We are here to help find the perfect walk for you!
Before Your Adventure Begins
Walk91 look forward to welcoming you on arrival with your own personal walk briefing. We will hand you a map, tide chart, walk notes, emergency position-indicating radio beacon (EPIRB) & phone, if needed. You will start your journey with our Walk91 team feeling relaxed, confident & safe in the knowledge that we are never far away and you can call us at any time!
Day 1 - Apollo Bay to Blanket Bay
This morning you’ll collect your freshly packed lunch as you head out of Apollo Bay. The start of the walk commences with a stretch along the coastline offering sweeping views of the Cape Otway region. The track then meanders into the rainforest of the Great Otway National Park. Hike past tree ferns and tall eucalypts found in the wet gullies, through tall forests and along old forestry tracks. Spot black wallabies who inhabit this area, before winding down the trail onto beautiful Blanket Bay.
Day 2 - Blanket Bay to Cape Otway
As you set off today you will enjoy wonderful views over Parker Inlet. The vegetation changes to dry coastal forests inhabited by echidnas and king parrots. Following the track to Victoria’s oldest lighthouse, enjoy the breathtaking views of the Bass Strait from the cliff tops. Remember to look up into the manna gums, as they are home to the local koalas.
Today you visit the Cape Otway Lighthouse where you can walk up the 18 metre, 150 year old lightstation and learn a little of the lives of the hard-working, isolated and incredibly resourceful lighthouse keepers. Visit the telegraph station built in 1859 and the World War ll radar station.
Day 3 - Cape Otway to Castle Cove
Setting off today you will pass the old lightstation cemetery. The tombstones reflect the hardships experienced by the early settlers here. The track then meanders on towards the wild and wonderful Station Beach, which is littered with driftwood. Take a small detour to Rainbow Falls, or carry on walking to enjoy sweeping views from the cliff tops. You’ll walk along the Aire Heritage River and over its bridge, towards Castle Cove. This magnificent beach has its own lookout station; a great way to end your days walk! We will transfer you back to Apollo Bay at approximately 4pm.
GOOD TO KNOW
- We can lend you walking poles if you would like them.
- We can lend you a mobile phone if you are visiting from overseas.
- Transfers to and from your start and finish points are included where required.
- Detailed transportation options to and from Apollo Bay are available on the FAQ page.
- We are happy to cater for any special dietary needs (please see ‘question 15’ for what we can offer).
- It’s important to prepare for your walk. See the FAQ page for some tips!
- If this particular walk is too long or too short for you, please refer to our other multi-day walking options or call us for a chat on (+61 3 5237 1189). We can shorten your walk wherever possible.
Absolutely fabulous organisation, from enquiry through to booking and all the way through to final day of walk. Fabulous drivers, wonderful accommodation and hosts. Everyone friendly and accommodating. Thank you to the whole team!
We knew about the Great Ocean Walk and found Walk91 through an internet search. I called you last year to get advice on the best time to do the walk, and you recommended this timing for the best experience.
Deb & Jen
Everything went to plan and the accommodation was perfect. What a treat to arrive at these lovely places after a hard days walking.