3 Day Camp the Cape
Walk from Apollo Bay to Johanna Beach and experience three nights camping along the way. We'll transfer your camping gear and bags each day so you can enjoy your walk!
You'll Walk 57kms of the Great Ocean Walk in 3 Days
Day 1 - Apollo Bay to Blanket Bay
The walk from Apollo Bay sets the standard for the rest of your journey, offering sweeping ocean views of the Cape Otway region. The track meanders into the rainforest of the Great Otway National Park. Hike past tree ferns and tall eucalypts found in the wet gullies, through tall forests and along old forestry tracks. Spot black wallabies who inhabit this area, before winding down the trail onto beautiful Blanket Bay. Upon arrival you will collect your gear from the locked trailer. We replenish the containers of water in the trailer so that you have drinking water and water to cook with.
Day 2 - Blanket Bay to Aire River
In the morning you will lock up your camping gear, luggage and food in our trailer for collection. As you start your walk today the vegetation changes to dry coastal forests inhabited by echidnas and king parrots. Following the track to Victoria’s oldest lighthouse you’ll enjoy views of the Bass Strait from the cliff tops. After visiting the Cape Otway Lightstation (optional), you will pass the old cemetery. As you walk on, the sweeping Aire River with its multitude of birds welcome you to your campsite. When you arrive you can collect your gear and drinking water from the trailer.
Day 3 - Aire River to Johanna Beach
In the morning you’ll leave your gear for collection in the trailer at Aire River. As you start your walk from Aire River you’ll see rocky escarpments and stunning coastal views. You will pass heath land, wild flowers and grass trees. Be prepared for some beach walking as you drop down onto Johanna Beach. We will meet you here at 12:30pm and return you to Apollo Bay.
Good to Know
- Before you book this assisted camping package with Walk 91 please be aware that you must book your campsites with Parks Victoria (the price of the campsites is not included).
- If you would like an official Great Ocean Road Map, a lighthouse ticket or to hire camping gear, you may purchase on the booking page and collect on arrival.
- Food is not included and the are no shops on the walk (only a cafe in the Lighthouse).
- You cannot drink the water on the track. We supply drinking water each day.
- For suggestions on clothing and what to bring please refer to our FAQ page.
- Phone reception is ‘patchy’ on some sections. Telstra sim cards offer the best reception.
- It’s important to prepare for your trip. See our FAQ page for some tips!
The Great Ocean Walk walk-in sites were tucked away within the bush & so peaceful, the only sound we could hear at night was the grunting koalas!